Do you already have language skills in Arabic, ASL, Basque, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Latin or Spanish?
Boise State University grants CREDIT FOR PRIOR LEARNING if you can demonstrate those skills.
Here is a general overview on how to do so. Be sure to consult with your Academic Advisor.
Requirements to obtain Credit For Prior Learning:You must be enrolled at Boise State University to apply for Credit for Prior Learning.
You must be enrolled at Boise State University for the semester in which the credit is granted.
You must complete 12 credits at Boise State University before the credit will be recorded.
Students may not challenge a course to improve a grade or replace a grade of PASS.
Up to 8 credits earned will count toward the Foundations Program requirement.
*** For information on receiving credit for languages not listed above, please visit the Challenge Exam section.
1. Take the Placement Exam
For French, German and Spanish: Click here to download an informational flyer
For the following languages, arrange a free Placement Interview by contacting:
Arabic: Isam Ali, IsamAli@boisestate.edu
ASL: Davina Snow, firstname.lastname@example.org
Basque: Nere Lete, L145D, 426-2619, email@example.com
Chinese: Sharon Wei, L145C, 426-1059, SharonWei@boisestate.edu
Japanese: Tetsuya Ehara, L-148, 426-2622, firstname.lastname@example.org
Korean: Yookyung Lee, email@example.com
Latin: Karen Wadley, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. The next steps depend whether you want to receive credit in the form of a letter grade, or a PASS.
You can receive the credits, applicable to the Foundations Program, but there is no impact on your GPA.
Cost: $20 per course (No refunds)
1. Enroll in the course indicated by the Placement Exam. Then, pass the course with a grade of C- or higher. ** NOTE: At this point you can decide to take a Challenge Exam instead of requesting the PASS
2. Request credit for one or more of the prerequisite courses not taken according to your academic needs.
3. Complete the Boise State University CREDIT FOR PRIOR LEARNING form to request credit. Pay $20 per course; no refunds.
4. A grade of PASS will be recorded on your NEXT semester’s transcript for each course. You must be enrolled for these credits to be posted.
You may take a Challenge Exam for any class below the level of your Placement Exam score. Challenge exams are only given during the first five weeks of Fall and Spring semesters. You must accept the grade that you score on the exam. Grades of A, B or C impact your GPA. Scores of D or F will not be recorded.
Cost: $50 per course (No refunds)
1. Register for the Challenge Exam for one or more of the prerequisite courses not taken according to your academic needs at the main WL office, L-140B. You may challenge one class at a time or challenge several classes at the same time by taking the exam for the highest class.
2. Complete the Boise State University CREDIT FOR PRIOR LEARNING form to challenge. Pay $50 per course; no refunds.
3. Take the exam on one of the dates scheduled for the current semester.
4. Grades of A+ through C- will be recorded on your CURRENT semester’s transcript for each course that you passed. Grades of D or F will not be recorded.
NOTE: For more information about scheduled exam dates and challenge exam administrators’ contact information, go to Challenge Exams
Language Exams available to earn Credit for Prior Learning at Boise State University.
Click on the links to find out more information about how to order and take a test through BYU or NYU.
List of languages offered:
- Language exams offered only at Brigham Young University: Exams cost $50.
Both BYU and NYU offer exams in the following languages:Afrikaans
Language exams offered only at New York University. Please see website for current pricing information: https://www.scps.nyu.edu/academics/departments/foreign-languages/testing/process.htmlBengali
* A student may only receive credit for one of these languages.
** A student may only receive credit for one of these languages.